Saturday, July 23, 2005

Annie Gets Her Gun Again

OK, so all day yesterday, I wouldn't stop humming songs from Annie Get Your Gun. Actually I physically COULD NOT stop humming them. And, unfortunately for the kids, I only knew little snippets of the songs, so I kept singing them over and over. (I've got the sun in the mornin' and the moon at night....) I decided that Emma and I would have a date Friday night to see the muscal again. I called "Annie" at home and told her how great she was, and chatted about the show, and ultimately hit her up for reserved blanket space for the second night in a row. She was very gracious. It's like flying first class now, I don't think I can ever sit "up the hill" with the common folks.

Emma and I met up with one of the girls from the Brownie troop and her mom (who I like a lot) and we all went together to see the show. We had front row center seats and they were perfect. There was a rain shower that passed through, but almost everyone stuck it out and of course, since there's No Business Like Show Business (also from the show) the show went on. The rain really cooled things off, and it turned out to be another glorious evening. Breezy, cool and smelling wonderful from the rain. The mommies sipped margaritas and the girls had sprite in slush mugs and M&Ms to eat.

Emma and Lauren sat in front of us and were spell bound througout the show. I watched them clap so hard after each song, and they would turn around to point things out to Amy and me.

At the end, Emma and Lauren went up to Mrs. Powell and told her that they went to Bryker Woods School, and then they got her autograph. They got Frank and Sitting Bull's autographs too. We walked back to the car, all four of us singing our favorite songs (or snippets of....). The girls decided they would like to have Mrs. Powell for their sixth grade teacher. They also have plans to take their autographs to school to show Mrs. Powell when school starts.

At midnight we made it home, Emma was pumped and too excited to go to sleep. I put some dirty dishes in the washer and hummed, "I've got the sun in the morning and the moon at night..." and told Emma I couldn't get that song out of my head. She told me, "That's OK, as long as you don't put it into my head, Mom".

Oh yeah, she wants to see it again.

No comments: