Thursday, November 16, 2006

Girl talk

I've had several occasions to hang out with groups of women lately. I took my Girl Scout troop camping, and there were a couple of other moms. Been to the park, and hung out with the moms there, did an Art Day at a friend's house, and there have been other gatherings recently.

What I've come to realize is that it is very important for women (don't know about men) to have nice talks. Margaritas too, if the occasion warrants. But at each gathering, whether we knew each other very well, or not so well, the talking was almost the same. We listened to issues about other kids, our health, our families, the world. And it struck me that it is almost like building a spider web. I get these little glimmers of shared experience from other women, so that I'm better prepared to be the family counselor, doctor, or whatever. They weave together and then when I need them, they make a nice strong net for me.

I don't know if guys need that. Or maybe they do and they just work past it. But if I had any advice for young women, it would be to get involved in lots of different groups, so that you have multiple places to go to recharge the batteries. And you make lots of good girl friends.

Kind of deep, but that's what's on my mind.

No comments: