Monday, February 19, 2007

Holding Pattern

About a week ago today, I got an email from a girl I worked for last summer. She has a new project. Her jobs are mentally challenging, a little intimidating, very technical, and quite lucrative. She asked if I could help on a very fast job, 40-50 hours over two weeks, and earn about $1000. I couldn't say YES! fast enough.

Anyway, the job was supposed to start last Wednesday. I quickly cleared as many obligations off my calendar as I could, delegated PTA assignments to committee members and braced for the onslaught. But then we had to wait for her client to sign a contract. So each day, I log onto the computer and hold my breath and the start date keeps sliding. The ten day window now contains several days the kids are out of school-- haven't quite figured how I'll manage to get productive work done those days. Joey was out of school today. The big kids are out Monday for conferences and Joey's school is out next Wednesday and Thursday for some reason.

On top of that, I'm in a major role in an upcoming PTA evening event. I'm in charge of feeding about 400 people on March 8. And Max's birthday (and party?) are March 3.....

So, do you want to hear the positive development? This waiting time has gotten me working on everything I can think of toward getting stuff accomplished. This weekend I finished the last two thirds of the garage clean out. I think I collapsed over a hundred cardboard boxes! I also found (and asked David to remove) a mummified squirrel or rat. ugh.

So, anyway, when I lie in bed early each morning, and I feel the stress bubble up after I remember the upcoming project, I think about the garage. Today around lunchtime I even went out and looked at it. Because that's why I took this crazy job, to save some of the money we need to renovate it into our studio/storage/possible guest room. Hopefully without mummified mammals.

No comments: