Saturday, June 04, 2005

don't I look relieved?

Things have been pretty boring around here lately, but finally today, something noteworthy happened-- I had my recital!

This was really the trickiest dance I've learned in the last three years. For some reason (old age) I've been having a harder time remembering the steps to this year's dance. We have been practicing the whole hour in almost all of the classes since Christmas and I was losing steps as fast as I learned them. About two weeks ago, I decided that instead of worrying about the steps I just wouldn't tell anyone where or when the recital was, so it wouldn't matter if I messed up or not.

And, after three years of hearing from David that my arms didn't move, and that I didn't smile during the recitals, I thought, screw the footwork, this year I'm smiling and swinging my arms. I'm sure my teacher wouldn't be thrilled to hear about my abandonment of hope, but too bad.

I got my hooker lipstick on, and set out to grin and swing. I was cool as a cucumber. Once on the stage, I tried to smile at the back corner of the auditorium where I had told the kids to wave at me. I couldn't even begin to see them due to the lights, but I imagined them there. I got lost a couple of times. And in the blink of an eye, it was over.

After that, we set off for my triumphant after show dinner at.... Mr. Ghatti's All-you-can-eat Buffet. And, now, here I am reliving it for all of you. If I look kind of manic in the posted photo, at least you know why.

No comments: