Friday, May 27, 2005

unemployed, once again

Just a few brief notes about Summer Vacation - Day 2.

Today was my last day taking care of young Adam. The kids and I all went out for gelato and had a fun time, laughing and taking pictures of our last day together with our little adopted baby brother. Around 1:00 I handed him over to his lucky mom who gets to hear all his new words, watch his early steps and runs, and develop his personality as a wonderful stay-at-home mom. I wasn't as sad as I thought I'd be, because now Toni is free to hang out with me during the day! We have plans to go walk at Town Lake as much as we can next year, so I'll get to keep my eye on young Mr. D.

I thought that I'd be noticing lots of empty space in my cabinets and house after I packed up Adam's gear for Toni, but surprisingly my house is still as tiny and cramped as ever!

After Adam left, I appreciated the fact that my three kids are really pretty self-sufficient. They kept themselves busy while I did a major bathroom cleaning. It's one of those little freedoms in life that I'd taken for granted before having Adam. (Maybe because Joey was little then, I never had this freedom) It's the freedom to start a big, messy job with kids in your care. While Adam was here I never felt safe getting the Comet out, having toilet brush accessable, and making a big mess full of chokables in the bathroom. But today, I strapped on the iPod (love it!) and rocked out while I did a power scrub. I felt light, happy and productive.

Joey wandered in and eventually we were sitting on a stool, each of us with one earphone, listening to music. Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits came on. It's a song about two lovers, but some of the words made me tear up as Joey grinned and hammed his way through the music. We got to the line: "I love you like the stars above, I'll love you till I die", and I was just so happy to be there, singing with my kid.

"I can't do everything, but I'd do anything for you - can't do anything 'sept be in love with you"

"I'd do the stars with you, anytime"

"You and me babe, how 'bout it"

Being here has it's moments.

No comments: